Thursday, December 9, 2010

Review...Black Swan



I was originally going to see Black Swan on opening day but my plans were consistently derailed by various things such as finals, booze, and inclement weather. Finally last night my frat brah dragged me out of my apartment to brave the cold and walk to the local cinema. It was Cold.As.Balls. I was feeling bitter about the walk to the theater as it had snapped my four day streak of not setting foot outdoors. By then end of Black Swan the bitterness had been replaced by awe. Black Swan was ridiculous. It's definitely a movie for people who are into movies. The plot centers around Nina the Ballerina played by Natalie Portman who is cast as the Swan Queen in the world-renowned Swan Queen ballet. Portman just straight kills it as Nina who is an overly obsessed perfectionist who's dream has been to dance the role of the Swan Queen. Her character slowly spirals into madness with assistance from her mother who is a total nut-job washed up ballerina with control issues, her director Thomas (played by Sam Cassel) who drives her mad with sexual advances and performance demands, and Lily (Mila Kunis) who is her polar opposite (and shares a sexy times scene). The downward spiral of Nina is played to a tee by Portman and captured by director Darren Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler). Towards the end of the movie I felt that I was trapped in the mind of an insane person as well as experiencing the anxiety and delusions that Portman delivers. This is movie coupled by masterful acting and direction will send you out of the theater completely mind blown.

No comments:

Post a Comment