Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Golden Globe Nominations Announced...The Tourist has 3 Nom's??


The nominees for the 2011 Golden Globe Awards were announced this morning and for the most part the nominations were on point. The King's Speech leads the pack with 7 nominations followed by The Fighter and The Social Network with 6 a piece.  Black Swan, Inception, and The Kids Are Alright each received 4 nominations.  Perhaps the biggest surprise/joke is that The Tourist received three nominations...seriously?  I saw this piece of work over the weekend and although it was visually appealing it was not even close to being award-worthy material.  It's nominated for Best Comedy/Musical (I wasn't aware this was considered a comedy), Johnny Depp is nominated for Best Actor - Comedy, and Angelina Jolie is nominated for Best Actress - Comedy.  The Hollywood Foreign Press must have been ripping the bong with Miley when they decided The Tourist deserved anything but a Razzie. 

The Best Motion Picture - Drama...This is going to be a tough one...the category is stacked with three of my favorite movies of the year Black Swan, Inception, and The Social Network...also in the category we have The Fighter and The King's Speech neither of which I've seen.  Although each of these movies were amazing I'm going to have to choose Black Swan because it really took it to another level.  I have a feeling that Social Network or Inception will take the award because they appeal more to the masses than an art house piece like Black Swan.

My picks for Best Actor and Actress in a Drama are James Franco in 127 Hours and Natalie Portman in Black Swan.  I give Jesse Eisenberg a close second for his portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network.  Natalie Portman should win by a mile.  I haven't seen a performance like that in recent memory.

The Best Director category is going to come down to the wire.  Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan), David Fincher (The Social Network), Tom Hooper (The King's Speech), Christopher Nolan (Inception), and David O. Russel (The Fighter).  If you can't tell my favorite movie of this awards season is Black Swan and the direction is fantastic however Christopher Nolan was ridiculous in his direction of Inception so I won't be upset if either of these two win.

I've only covered the categories that were of particular interest to me but you can see the full listing of nominees by clicking the link below.




No comments:

Post a Comment