Monday, September 26, 2011

The Phantom Hold



As you may or may not know my blog is based out of Chicago and yesterday we had a rematch of the NFC Championship at Soldier Field. I had the privilege of being at that game last winter, bundled up in my ski gear freezing my fucking ass off and watching my boy Jay Cutty questionably exit the game in the 2nd quarter leading to our demise and eventually a Packer Superbowl Championship. I'm not gonna lie I can't hate on the Pack. Aaron Rodgers is probably the best quarterback I've ever gotten to see play with my own eyes. Bro is a laser in the pocket and on the go. Clay Matthews scares the piss out of me. But aside from these two I think that the Bears and Packers are a good match-up (if Cutler isn't freaking out and forcing throws and if Forte can actually get the ground game going). I'm not complaining about the game yesterday we had like 45 chances in the 4th quarter to turn it around and we fucked up most of the time. The punt return above, however, was not one of those wasted chances. This is one of the worst calls I've seen in recent memory against the Bears. A fucking hold? Are you shitting me? That was a clean and clever return if I've ever seen one. Knox just rumbling down the field. Hester juking motherfuckers like it's nobodies business. Get the fuck out of here officiating crew. Obviously Vegas called to ensure the over/under on the game. No question that was a legitimate clean return and I loved the design of the return. Look for it in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. What a fucking BRILLIANT play, ruined by a phantom hold call. They designed this play knowing that opponents' strategies late in games (esp the division rival Packers that are all too familiar with Hester) is to "not let Hester beat you", so they kick away from him. Using their own mindset to fool them, we have our other speedster catch the ball while Hester pretends it's coming his way, allowing Knox to only have to beat the punter (which the one blocker they kept with Knox took care of). So smart. AND IT FUCKING WORKED. Holding, my ass. They showed a few more replays on TV and at no point did #21 Cory Graham hold anyone. He literally didn't even TOUCH anyone. I was shocked that he didn't complain more; rather, he tapped his chest like "my bad" to his teammates. I don't know why he thought it was his bad. So if we're down 3 at that point and onside it, who knows if somehow we pull off the miracle. No, we didn't deserve to win given our inability to run the ball and our multiple chances squandered, as you noted. But still, even just for the sake of preserving this would-have-been-legendary play, I wish they wouldn't have called holding.

    ReplyDelete